Today’s topic of discussion is that whether website loading speed matters or not. We will also see how to speed up website. You must be aware that Website loading speed is one of the ranking factor which can affect your website’s search engine ranking.
Here are some facts and data which shows how important it is to maintain a good loading speed.
- Google.com: +500 ms (speed decrease) -> -20% traffic loss
- Yahoo.com: +400 ms (speed decrease) -> -5-9% full-page traffic loss (visitor left before the page finished loading)
- Amazon.com: +100 ms (speed decrease) -> -1% sales loss
Here are some direct benefits of having faster websites-
1) Gives a good user experience. Visitors generally close the websites which takes longer time to load than usual.
2) Improves ranking in Google. Yes you heard it right..Your website’s loading speed improves ranking in SERPs. Google has included website speed as one of the factor in their rank determination algorithm, which had affected around 1% of search queries.
3) Improves CTR (Click through rates). Fast loading sites have high CTR compared to slow websites.
4) Reduces Bounce rate.
How to speed up a WordPress website
You can easily increase the loading speed of your WordPress website with one great plugin. I’m talking about W3 total cache plugin, it takes care of everything but to configure this plugin is not that easy. I have shared a post on W3 total cache settings to speed up website.
Speeding up a website without any plugin
If you have a blogspot blog then the above WordPress plugin can’t help you. In such case you have to manually update your website to make it faster. There are many things which you have to take care regarding this. Some of them are enabling compression, minimizing number of redirects, optimize images and many more. SeoMoz has shared few tips to make everything easy. you can find it at how to speed up website.