Drawbacks of File system:
- Data Isolation: Because data are scattered in various files, and files may be in different formats, writing new application programs to retrieve the appropriate data is difficult.
- Duplication of data – Redundant data
- Dependency on application programs – Changing files would lead to change in application programs.
Advantage of DBMS over file system
There are several advantages of Database management system over file system. Few of them are as follows:
- No redundant data – Redundancy removed by data normalization
- Data Consistency and Integrity – data normalization takes care of it too
- Secure – Each user has a different set of access
- Privacy – Limited access
- Easy access to data
- Easy recovery
Disadvantages of DBMS:
- DBMS implementation cost is high compared to the file system
- Complexity: Database systems are complex to understand
- Performance: Database systems are generic, making them suitable for various applications. However this feature affect their performance for some applications