In this guide, you will learn the various DBMS applications. These applications help you understand the use of DBMS in various fields.
Applications where we use Database Management Systems are:
- Telecom: There is a database to keeps track of the information regarding calls made, network usage, customer details etc. Without the database systems it is hard to maintain that huge amount of data that keeps updating every millisecond.
- Industry: Where it is a manufacturing unit, warehouse or distribution centre, each one needs a database to keep the records of ins and outs. For example distribution centre should keep a track of the product units that supplied into the centre as well as the products that got delivered out from the distribution centre on each day; this is where DBMS comes into picture.
- Banking System: For storing customer info, tracking day to day credit and debit transactions, generating bank statements etc. All this work has been done with the help of Database management systems. Also, banking system needs security of data as the data is sensitive, this is efficiently taken care by the DBMS systems.
- Sales: To store customer information, production information and invoice details. Using DBMS, you can track, manage and generate historical data to analyse the sales data.
- Airlines: To travel though airlines, we make early reservations, this reservation information along with flight schedule is stored in database. This is where the real-time update of data is necessary as a flight seat reserved for one passenger should not be allocated to another passenger, this is easily handled by the DBMS systems as the data updates are in real time and fast.
- Education sector: Database systems are frequently used in schools and colleges to store and retrieve the data regarding student details, staff details, course details, exam details, payroll data, attendance details, fees details etc. There is a large amount of inter-related data that needs to be stored and retrieved in an efficient manner.
- Online shopping: You must be aware of the online shopping websites such as Amazon, Flipkart etc. These sites store the product information, your addresses and preferences, credit details and provide you the relevant list of products based on your query. All this involves a Database management system. Along with managing the vast catalogue of items, there is a need to secure the user private information such as bank & card details. All this is taken care of by database management systems.
I have mentioned very few applications, this list is never going to end as almost every field where the database needs to be managed is using DBMS now a days. The traditional file system is used only where the data size is very small.