Applications where we use Database Management Systems are:
- Telecom: There is a database to keeps track of the information regarding calls made, network usage, customer details etc. Without the database systems it is hard to maintain that huge amount of data that keeps updating every millisecond.
- Industry: Where it is a manufacturing unit, warehouse or distribution centre, each one needs a database to keep the records of ins and outs. For example distribution centre should keep a track of the product units that supplied into the centre as well as the products that got delivered out from the distribution centre on each day; this is where DBMS comes into picture.
- Banking System: For storing customer info, tracking day to day credit and debit transactions, generating bank statements etc. All this work has been done with the help of Database management systems.
- Education sector: Database systems are frequently used in schools and colleges to store and retrieve the data regarding student details, staff details, course details, exam details, payroll data, attendance details, fees details etc. There is a hell lot amount of inter-related data that needs to be stored and retrieved in an efficient manner.
- Online shopping: You must be aware of the online shopping websites such as Amazon, Flipkart etc. These sites store the product information, your addresses and preferences, credit details and provide you the relevant list of products based on your query. All this involves a Database management system.
I have mentioned very few applications, this list is never going to end if we start mentioning all the DBMS applications.