In this article, you will learn the characteristics of SQL.
Characteristics of SQL
- Easy to Learn: SQL is user-friendly, english like language that makes it easy to learn. Learning SQL doesn’t require prior knowledge.
- Portable language: SQL is a portable language, which means the software that supports SQL can be moved to another machine without affecting the capability of SQL interacting with the database on new machine.
- Supports wide variety of commands: SQL supports various useful commands such as:
- DDL (Data Definition Language) commands like CREATE, DROP, ALTER.
- DML (Data Manipulation Language) commands like INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE.
- DCL (Data Control Language) commands like GRANT, REVOKE.
- TCL (Transaction Control Language) commands like COMMIT, ROLLBACK.
- DQL (Data Query Language) commands like SELECT.
- Reusability: SQL promotes reusability by supporting stored procedures. These stored procedures are stored SQL statements that can be used to perform a specific task any number of times. This makes it easier to write SQL statements for a re-occurring task and reusing the saved stored procedure to perform the same task without rewriting the same SQL statements again.
- Supports JOIN: SQL supports join which is used to combine the data of two or more tables. This can be useful when we need to perform the operation on multiple tables.
- Supports UNION: UNION command can be used to join two or more DQL statement (SELECT statements).
- Integration: SQL allows integration to non-SQL database applications as well.
- Performance: Better performance even if the database size if huge.
- SQL is scalable and flexible.
- SQL is secure.
Leave a Reply